Part 1 Topic
- What do you think are
the advantages (and disadvantages) of
bicycles compared to cars?
& Leisure time
- How does the way people like
to relax in China compare
with western countries?
- Compare the way people in
China relax today and the way they
used to relax many years ago.
|Letters & Emails
- Compare emails and
- (Similar to above Do you
prefer to write letters or emails? (Why?)
- What are the differences
between handwritten letters and emails?
- Do you usually write letters
to people or do you usually use a
cell-phone or email?
- (Similar to above) When you
communicate with people, do you
prefer to write a letter, write an email or call on your
- (Similar to above) How do you
communicate with others at work – by email or is it more
convenient to communicate face-to-face?
- Compare the music that young
people like and the music that
old(er) people like.
- Which instrument do you think
would be better to study – the
piano or the violin?
- Do you think the seasons have
changed in recent years, compared to the past? (Why? How?)
- Are boys and girls good at the
- In China, is transportation in
the big cities the same as
transportation in small towns and villages?
- Do different age groups of
people like to play different games?
(Give examples - What games?)
- What different types of
newspaper are there in China?
- Do you prefer to read about
domestic (or local) news or
international news? (Why?)
- Do you like your present age?
(Why?/Why not?) (= Would
you prefer to be a different age to the age you are now?)
do you think is the best age to be?
people have different pressures at different times of their life?
- What reading materials do
different kinds of people like?
- How (do you think) restaurants
have changed, over the past few
years? (=How are restaurants today different to those of
|Television & Radio
- What kind of entertainment do
you prefer, TV or radio? (Why?)
- How are radio programs and
television programs different?
- Do you prefer TV news or news
on the radio? (Why?)
- In China, has television/radio
changed much in the past few
- Is there much difference
between traditional dancing and modern
are the differences between cell phones and typical house phones
do you prefer to use, a cellphone or a normal house phone (= a
fixed-line phone)? (Why?)
is better, a face-to-face conversation or a phone call? (Why?)
men and women use telephones/cellphones in the same way?
to above) Are there any differences to the cellphones (= mobile
phones) that men use, compared to those that women use?
has advertising for cellphones developed in recent years? (Hint:
Include a comparison with before.)
- After you start working, do
you think you will prefer that kind of life to being a student?
- Do you prefer working to being
a student? (Why?/Why not?)
- Which place do you prefer, your hometown or the city
where you are studying (or working)?
- How has your hometown changed in recent years? (E.g.,
the past 20 years or since you were a child.)
- Do you prefer informal (=
casual) or formal clothes? (Why?)
- Do you prefer to watch films
in a cinema or at home? (Why?)
- Do you prefer to eat at home
or in restaurants? (Why?) (What
are the advantages of home cooking?)
- Do you often eat with your
family? or, Do Chinese people (or
you) prefer to eat with family or with friends? (Why?)
- Do you prefer to spend time
with friends or spend time alone?
- Which meal do you prefer,
lunch or dinner (supper)? (Why?)
- Do you prefer to eat three
full meals a day or do you prefer to
eat many snacks throughout the day?
- Do you prefer to take photos
yourself or to have other people
take photos? (Why?)
- Do you prefer to take pictures
(= take photos) of people or of
- Do you prefer to send
postcards to people or to send photos that
you took yourself? (Why?) (Or: As a souvenir of a place that
you visit, do you prefer to buy a postcard or take a photograph
- Do you prefer shopping in
small shops or big supermarkets and
department stores? (Why?)
- How do you think shopping has
changed in China since you were
- Which do you prefer, Saturdays
or Sundays? (Why?)
- Have computers changed (=
influenced) your life in any way? (If
you ever been to any place where the weather is different to your
hometown? (If yes, compare the two.)
there any big differences between people's names today in China and
people's names many years ago?